Twix bars get a low carbohydrate, gluten-free makeover. A tender almond flour shortbread base with abundant caramel and velvety milk chocolate.
How to make homemade TWIX Bars
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup butter, cooled and cut into little pieces
- 1/4 cup Swerve Sweetener
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 tbsp Swerve Sweetener
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 oz Creamy Milk Chocolate, sliced
- For the crust, preheat oven to 325F and line a 9×9 inch pan with parchment paper, permitting some overhang for easy removal.
- In a food processor, integrate almond flour, butter pieces, sweetener, xanthan gum and salt. Pulse till mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Press mixture securely into the bottom of prepared baking pan and bake 15 minutes, till simply light golden brown. Remove and let cool.
- For the caramel, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, Swerve, and coconut sugar. Bring to a boil and cook 3 to 5 minutes (be careful not to burn it).
- Get rid of from heat and add cream and vanilla. Mix will bubble strongly.
- Sprinkle with xanthan gum and whisk strongly to combine. Blend in salt.
- Let caramel cool about 20 minutes, up until thickened but still pourable.
- Pour over crust and let embeded in fridge 10 to 15 minutes.
- For the chocolate topping, set a heatproof bowl over a pan of hardly simmering water. Do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water.
- Add sliced milk chocolate and stir till melted.
- Put chocolate over caramel and spread to edges with a knife or offset spatula.
- Let chocolate set prior to cutting into squares or bars.
Serves 18. Each serving has 5.62 g of carbohydrates and 2.72 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 2.9 g.
Food energy: 136kcal Saturated fatty acids: 5.74 g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 1.70 g Polyunsaturated fats: 0.24 g Total fat: 12.23 g Calories from fat: 110 Cholesterol: 18mg Carbohydrate, by distinction: 5.62 g Total dietary fiber: 2.72 g Protein: 2.22 g.